Your search about how to get pregnant ends here! We tell you in this article the 5 essential steps to get pregnant, the untold secrets of getting pregnant and practical tips to get pregnant faster.
Last Updated: Oct 22, 2020 11:29 GMT
If you think having sex without a contraceptive is all that is to be done to get pregnant, you may be only partly right. Not all unprotected sex result in pregnancy. There is certainly more to understand of getting pregnant.Five Steps to Get Pregnant Faster
Here are 5 steps that will help you to get pregnant faster:1. Focus on a Healthy Lifestyle
All of us want a healthy baby, sure! You will be surprised to know that the health of your would-be baby begins even before you get pregnant. Studies show that women who followed the guidelines for healthy nutrition and lifestyle showed more percentage of conception than those who did not. That is why it is important for both you and your partner to have a general health check done with a health care provider before you plan to conceive. You may be suggested for medical tests to test your glucose levels, hemoglobin levels or other conditions which may run in your families or known previously.
Important guidelines to follow before planning your pregnancy are:
- The woman must consume a minimum of 400 micrograms per day of folic acid supplements.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Quit smoking.
- Consume five or more portions of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Maintain your body weight within the optimal range for your height, gender and age group.
- Get into a regular exercise regime. But take care not to overdo. Strenuous physical activity can sometimes have adverse effects on conception.
Why, you definitely knew it, didn’t you?! You must also know that it may take a few cycles after you go off your birth control pills or hormones, or remove contraceptive devices before you get pregnant. So, if you opt out of your birth control methods now, it may well take another two or three months for your body to adapt back to its fertile state. It is also not uncommon for couples to get pregnant soon after they remove birth controls. So, be prepared for either way.3. Understand Your Fertility Window
You really need not have sex on all 28 days of your cycle, in order to get pregnant (though it is not a bad idea!) If you would like to know the smarter and faster way on how to get pregnant, it is this – understand your fertility window. In brief, women ovulate (the process of releasing an ovum into the ovary) once during her menstrual cycle.
Your ovulation date has a critical say when you are trying to conceive. It is because sperms can be alive inside the woman’s body for 5-6 days while an ovum is viable for only 24 hours following ovulation. The fertile window, calculated by an ovulation tracker or by sensing the signs of ovulation, points to the recommended dates to have sex that can be in favor of conception.Common Signs of Ovulation
Here are the common signs of ovulation:
- Rise in basal body temperature
- Increased sexual drive
- Vaginal discharge becomes thick and sticky
- The cervical opening feels softer when checked with a clean finger
- Breast tenderness
4. Spice up on the Bed
Have sex! If you want to figure out how to get pregnant faster, you must get a better sense of when to have sex than how to have sex. It is wise to have sex every day during the second and third weeks of your menstrual cycle. If your busy daily routine makes everyday-sex a hard task to achieve, it is recommended to have sex on the 5 or 6 days which fall within the fertility window. The point is, arranging a meet between the sperm and the ovum just the day before your ovulation (well, if you can magically predict when exactly you ovulate) is the ultimate key to open the door of your womb.
Tips to Keep in Mind during and after sex
Coming to best sex positions to get pregnant, there isn’t one which can give surety of conception though the missionary position, that is, the man on top, is believed to enhance the chances of pregnancy. This is because the woman gets to sleep on her back while the little swimmers can make their way to the top to her fallopian tube, enduring minimal or no gravity.
A few trivial tips to keep in mind during and after sex are:
- If your partner is habituated to withdraw his penis out just before ejaculation, remind him to let go of this habit.
- It is advisable for the woman not to clean her genitals soon after sex, which may wash away the potential sperms.
- Lying in the horizontal position and putting the legs up after sex is an old tale that is said to help conception though there is no evidence to support it.
- The first semen out of an ejaculation that happens after a long while may contain dead sperms. Therefore, by the time you prepare for intercourse during the fertility window, you should be in your active sexual state.
- Avoid using lubricants which might alter the pH of your vaginal floor which, in turn, can possibly hinder the receptivity of sperms.
Follow the aforementioned trivial tips before and during sex.5. Find out your Pregnancy
Well, all done right, now it is the anxious wait time to discover your pregnancy. The first sign of pregnancy is usually missing your period, which should be around 14 days after ovulation (if you have a 28-day cycle). There are pregnancy test kits available with which you can test for pregnancy with your urine sample from the comfort of your home. Ideally, you must wait for 1 week to 10 days after you miss your period for a home pregnancy test. If you read a positive result, congratulations! You can now head on to our pregnancy week-by-week guide as you are already a few weeks pregnant now!
How long does it take to get pregnant?
No one can know it precisely! If you see a negative result in the home test, repeat the test after another week. If it is a negative result again, continue your hopes and sex life with good spirit. If you feel frustrated about how long it takes to get pregnant, we suggest you consult your doctor. In general, 85% of couples take one year to succeed. Unless you are 35 years or older, you can wait for a year after which you must consult your doctor to rule out fertility issues.What can go wrong when attempting to get pregnant?
Religiously following steps #1 to #5 is no guarantee of getting pregnant. Discussed below are a few reasons why a couple does not get pregnant faster:
- With irregular menstrual cycles, it can be difficult to predict the fertility window.
- Physiological factors of the sperm and ovum, like the viability and mobility of the sperm.
- The receptivity of the uterus, that is, how prepared the uterus is for pregnancy.
- Higher levels of stress.
Some couples may get it right on their first night together while some others may have to explore through several nights. Irrespective of whether to believe in luck or not, fairly being educated on how to get pregnant will definitely take you a step closer to your baby love!
1) Inskip, H. M., Crozier, S. R., Godfrey, K. M., Borland, S. E., Cooper, C., & Robinson, S. M. (2009). Women’s compliance with nutrition and lifestyle recommendations before pregnancy: a general population cohort study. The BMJ, 338, b481. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643441/
2) Wilcox, A. J., Dunson, D., & Baird, D. D. (2000). The timing of the “fertile window” in the menstrual cycle: day specific estimates from a prospective study. BMJ: British Medical Journal, 321(7271), 1259–1262. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC27529/
3) Lynch, C. D., Sundaram, R., Maisog, J. M., Sweeney, A. M., & Buck Louis, G. M. (2014). Preconception stress increases the risk of infertility: results from a couple-based prospective cohort study—the LIFE study. Human Reproduction (Oxford, England), 29(5), 1067–1075. https://academic.oup.com/humrep/article/29/5/1067/2913997