We may think that we are with our children 24x7. But that is not true. We always have a routine of preparing the meals, cleaning the house and doing laundry. Every single work cannot be done when your child is sleeping. Moreover, once they are able to crawl, sit and walk, they wish to be in their own way. So it is necessary to childproof your home to prevent any dangers. Learn how to baby proof your home.
Last Updated: Oct 22, 2020 11:29 GMT
The ideal time to baby proof your house would be once your child is about to come home or even before he arrives. Every single room in your house needs to be baby proof. There are a lot of services available to baby proof your house. But it is better that you get involved and check every single aspect.General safety measures
· Always store emergency contacts and medical information numbers in your phone. You must be able to use even when your phone is locked.
· Make sure you have an easy access to your first aid kit.
· Always store your medicines in a high, locked cabinet.
· The top and bottom of the stairs need to be installed with baby gates.
· Pools at home may be installed with a four-side fence with self-closing and self-latching gates. This helps children from accidental wandering.
· Use child proof safety latches for all the cabinets.
· Transfer all the toxic plants out of baby’s reach.
· Store toy batteries in a safe place
· Install window guards and be sure that the windows cannot be opened more than three inches.Electricity safety
· It is mandatory to move all the electrical cords behind furniture and use safety covers to mask the electrical outlets.
· Transfer tall, wobbly lamps behind furniture.
· Smoke detectors should be installed on every level of your house.
· Always unplug electrical appliances after use and put it in a place that is meant for.
· Install a smoke alarm outside every bedroom or living area.
· It is a good idea to anchor your television in a wall and hide all the electrical cords. If it is not possible to anchor it in wall, place your television on sturdy furniture and move it close to the wall and cover the electrical cords.
· Tie all the blind cords up and out of the reach of children.Kitchen
· Keep knives and other sharp objects out of reach of children.
· Don not leave any water in an open container or bucket.
· Refrigerator and freezer doors should be installed with safety latches.
· Do not use tablecloths. When your baby yanks the table cover or clothes, everything may crash on the floor.
· Do not place hot liquids in the floor
· Install a fire extinguisher in the kitchenBathroom
· Children should not have access to heaters and radiators.
· Your water heater should be installed with a temperature guard. Water should not be hotter than 120 degrees.
· Always use non slip mats near the bathtub.
· Install safety locks on toilet seat covers.
· Always keep toilet lids down and secured with a lid lock.
· Place shampoos, soaps, detergents and cleaners out of the reach of children.
· Never leave your children alone in a bathtub even for a minute. They may accidentally slip or start drinking unhealthy water.Nursery
· Be sure that your baby’s crib has fixed rails.
· Do not place mobiles and other electronic gadgets near the crib or in your baby’s room.
· Let the levels of crib mattress be lowered down so that your child will not climb down.
· Paint your baby’s room at least eight weeks before her arrival so that she is not exposed to any dangerous chemicals.
· Avoid placing blankets, pillows, bumpers and toys near the crib.
· Use a UL-listed night light and replacement bulbs.Car
· Children love to play with cars. It is very essential that parking area also needs to be safe for babies.
· When you are travelling with your baby you should ensure that baby’s car seat is installed correctly and rear facing.
· Doors and windows should have child locks.
· At any cause, do not leave keys in the car.
· Move all the toxic substances and choking hazards out of reach of children.
Go to your child’s world and do baby proofing.